Quick and Yummy Chicken Burritos – Super Frugal Recipe
These Quick and Yummy Chicken Burritos are perfect when you’re looking to save money while making a delicious, healthy meal for your family in less than 30 minutes!
Quick and Yummy Chicken Burritos
First the Sauce
The ingredients are basic and simple: Cooked chicken, beans, Mexican-style tomatoes, tortillas, and cheese. I often mix these ingredients up a bit, based on what I have on hand. For this version, I used some prepared chicken I had on hand after cooking up these Basic Baked Chicken Leg Quarters, but leftover chicken of any kind works well, and even canned chicken works in a pinch.
Put around two cups of chicken in your pan.
Add two cans of beans of your choice (I used black beans and pinto beans) and one can of Mexican-style tomatoes (I use mild Ro-Tels) to your pan.
Stir everything together, stick a lid on your pan, and go kick your shoes off and wrestle with the kids while your meal heats up on low/med for a few minutes.
Putting Them Together
When the smell is starting to drive you just a little crazy, you know it’s about time to eat. Stick a couple of flour tortillas on your plate (maybe just one for those with smaller appetites) and spoon some of that deliciousness right into the middle of them.
Grate some cheese in there (I used Colby-Jack but cheddar is a favorite, as well).
Roll your tortillas up around the filling inside. I personally like to fold my ends in first, and then roll the sides up so that everything is nicely inside. But really, roll them up in any way that works well for you. No one is handing out awards for Best Looking Chicken Burritos, after all. (But if you find out they are, please let me know, cuz I will OWN IT!) Besides, after you get your tortillas all rolled up into burritos, you are going to smother them with more filling and grated cheese. Everything looks better smothered in burrito filling and cheese!
See? Aren’t those chicken burritos pretty? Sure they are! See?
Yeah, you know you like those. It’s okay to admit it. They look good on a different plate, too!
And just wait until you taste them…definite yumminess without costing a fortune or taking all night to make. That’s what you call your win/win!
Want more Super Frugal Recipes? Check out:
For more Super Frugal advice:
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 2 cans beans of your choice (I used black beans and pinto beans)
- 1 can tomatoes of your choice (I used mild Ro-Tel)
- flour tortillas
- grated cheese (I used Colby-Jack)
- Dump 2 cups chicken in your pan. If frozen, break up chunks of chicken that are stuck together. (Don't stress if you can't get them all separated immediately, they will cooperate more when they begin to thaw.)
- Add beans and tomatoes to chicken. Stir together.
- Cover pan and heat on warm, stirring occasionally, until burrito filling begins to simmer and is heated through.
- Spoon filling into flour tortillas, top with grated cheese, and roll up into burritos.
- Smother burritos with more filling and grated cheese.